September 23, 2020
To better manage traffic on I-880, the carpool lanes have been converted to express lanes between Oakland and Milpitas. This gives solo drivers the option to pay a toll to use the lanes and ensures that all users, including carpoolers, get a reliably faster trip.
- The express lanes will operate from 5 am to 8 pm, Monday through Friday. They are free for all drivers on weekends and weeknights.
- 3-person carpools, buses, vanpools and motorcycles must use a FasTrak Flex toll tag set to 3+ to travel toll free.
- 2-person carpools pay a toll. Use a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag with the switch set to 2 and receive a 50% discount.
- Solo drivers in eligible clean air vehicles (CAVs) pay a toll. Use a FasTrak CAV toll tag to receive a 50% discount.
- Other solo drivers pay the full toll to use the express lane with either a standard FasTrak toll tag or a FasTrak Flex toll tag switch set at 1.
I-680 CONTRA COSTA – NEW HOV LANES AND TOLLS FOR CLEAN AIR VEHICLES
Half-price Tolls for Eligible CAVs
Starting Friday, October 2, solo drivers in eligible CAVs in the I-680 Contra Costa Express Lanes will be required to pay tolls. Drivers using a FasTrak CAV toll tag will receive a 50% discount. Solo drivers using a FasTrak Flex toll tag with the switch in position 2 or 3+ may receive a toll violation from CHP.
To apply for the FasTrak CAV toll tag, visit the Clean Air Vehicles page.
New HOV-2+ Lanes
On August 24, a new High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) 2+ lane opened on southbound I-680 between Treat Blvd. and Rudgear Rd. These lanes operate from 5 am to 8 pm, Monday – Friday. During these times, only 2+ person carpools and eligible clean air vehicles (displaying red, purple or orange CAV decals) can use the far-left lane.
Double-white lines are in place to restrict access into and out of the HOV-2+ lane. These buffers run from SR-242 to Treat Blvd. and from Rudgear Rd. to Stone Valley Rd. It is illegal to cross the buffers at any time of day and median barrier signs explain where to exit the HOV-2+ lane to access highway exits.
For information on the new I-680 HOV-2+ lane, visit https://511.org/driving/express-lanes/g-i-680-contra-costa-southbound-managed-lane.For information on the I-680 Contra Costa lane restrictions, view these FAQs: https://511.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/FAQ%20-%20680%20Getting%20In%20Out.pdf.
SR-237 EXPRESS LANES – TOLLS REQUIRED FOR 2-PERSON CARPOOLS
Beginning Friday, October 2, vehicles with two occupants are no longer eligible for toll-free travel in the SR-237 Express Lanes. Vehicles with two occupants (including eligible CAVs) will be required to pay a toll, but will receive a 50% toll discount when using a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag switched to position 2.
Category: Express Lanes